The First Year Teaching Forum (FYTF) is an opportunity for all academic and professional staff at UTAS, whether teaching or supporting students, to engage in discussion and development of the first year experience. The forum will be of relevance both to staff directly involved with students in their first year of university and also to staff who teach and support these students in subsequent years.
The FYTF is convened annually by the Centre for the Advancement of Learning and Teaching, and funded by the Student Transition and Retention Taskforce.
2011 First Year Teaching Forum
The 2011 FYTF will be held on Wednesday August 31st, from 10.00am – 3.30pm at the Tramsheds function centre, next to the Inveresk campus, Launceston.
Professor Marnie Hughes-Warrington, Pro Vice-Chancellor (Learning and Teaching) at Monash University, will present the Keynote Address on students’ development of disciplinary styles of thinking in first year.
The focus of the 2011 Forum is on the ways in which we shape and support students’ thinking within the fields and disciplines of their study. This theme reflects the importance of students’ ‘Knowledge and experience of discipline’, a key element within the First Year and Transition Framework, workshopped by Forum participants in 2010.
The Preliminary Program for the 2011 First Year Teaching Forum is available here: FYTF 2011 Program.pdf (71KB).
** Call for Posters **
We would like to invite attendees to prepare a poster detailing programs and initiatives undertaken to support the student experience in first year. The aim of the poster session is to facilitate communication of FY initiatives, experiences, research or projects. The 2010 First Year Teaching Forum included a successful presentation of 15 posters and we would like to continue this opportunity for sharing amongst colleagues in 2011.
Posters need not conform to any specific format and posters presented elsewhere in 2011 or later in 2010 are also welcome.
Print Offer: Prepare a poster for the forum and we will have it printed for you. Provide us your poster in Microsoft Word Publisher format, we will print it in A1 size and return it to you following the Forum for your own later use.
- As soon as possible: please let us know if you are interested in bringing a poster to the Forum, or ask any questions you might have (email@example.com or 03 6226 7251)
- 9am Thursday 25th August: If you would like us to print your poster, please provide us an electronic copy of the poster in Microsoft Word Publisher format. We will arrange for printing of the poster.
- 12pm Tuesday 30th August: If you have your own printed poster, please arrange for delivery of your poster to CALT Reception in Launceston by midday on Tuesday at the latest. (physical address: Level 1, Building B, Newnham Campus, Launceston; internal postal address: CALT Reception (FYTF poster), Locked Bag 1341, Launceston).
A free bus will be provided to transport staff from the Hobart campus and support for travel from the Cradle Coast is available.
Please contact the Centre for the Advancement of Learning and Teaching if you have questions about the Forum.
- Phone: (03) 6226 7251 or (03) 6324 3504
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org